Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10 things to do every day....

My list of things to do every single day-no matter what- to make your life easier...

1. Make your bed. After I wake up and have a cup of coffee, I go in and make the bed. It's much nicer to go to bed in a clean, neat bed.. and now that it's easy to make it- I have a sheet and blanket that aren't tucked in, and a duvet to throw on top there isn't even a time problem. 2 minutes and I'm done....

2. clean your bathroom surfaces and put away your makeup in the morning. After you have done what you need to do in the bathroom, put you gear away and wipe your counter down. I also make sure the floor is cleaned off (but my floor is only about 10 ft sq)

3. Make sure that your kitchen counters are cleaned off too...who wants to come home to old coffee rings on the counter. Rinse out your breakfast dishes or you coffee cup too...

4. When you get your mail and bring it home- go through it immediately. Put your bills and good mail in whatever organizational files work best for you- put the junk in the garbage or shred right then and there. Take 4 or 5 minutes to do it now so it doesn't eventually ruin an entire afternoon when it backs up.

5. Keep your keys and stuff you need to leave in the morning in a basket or bowl or hook by the front door. If you always put them there you will never lose them.

6. When you cook, clean as you go. You are in the kitchen anyway- while you are waiting to do whatever to your food- rinse out dishes, clean counter tops, etc... When you are in the fridge- check some leftovers or food to make sure they aren't outdated.  I try to unload the dishwasher while I cook also.

7. When you are done eating wipe down your table and - wash the dishes or put them in your dishwasher. At the very, very least rinse them off and stack them in the sink. But really, wash them...
I clean the floor in my kitchen after eating- it doesn't take much to grab a rag and make sure there aren't crumbs and whatnots on the floor. I'm not talking a mop job- just make sure you haven't left something that might stain or be a snack for an rodent or bug.


8. While you are at it- clean as you go everywhere. When you leave the living area make sure it's picked up and the cushions are orderly, magazines put back where they live and the remote in a visible location.

9. If you get a stain on your clothes, treat it immediately. There are stain treaters that can stay on your clothes for a few days if you don't wash every day. (although, if you have a machine- I say put in a load every day so it doesn't add up to a ruined afternoon) If you do a load of laundry- don't leave it in the washer- unless you like the smell of mildew.

10. Go to bed early a few days a week. Try to get 6-8 hours of sleep everyday- but if you are on the slim side of 6, go to bed early a day or two a week and see what more sleep does for you- it's amazing.

I hate that "flight of the bumblebee" feeling if univited guests might drop by. If I do a few small things every day I never have that feeling and my friends can stop anytime.  It's all the little things that end up being big time killers if you don't take care of them. Bonus- if you have kids you can farm a few of these jobs out to them!..

No comments: