Saturday, January 19, 2019

Does it matter what is popular or trending in design today?

Since I started this blog,  I have been thinking about his question. Does it really matter? Yes, and no. Some people want to be on the cutting edge of all things new and hip. Popularity means everything to them. Some people find that perfect sofa, and a place for everything they own, and never change a single thing again. Is one right or wrong? I don't think so...

If you are changing everything every season, I do wonder if you have a sense of your own personal style. If you wear what everyone else is wearing, and decorate how everyone else is decorating... do you want to BE like everyone else? That may be fine for some people, it might be a goal for some people...but it isn't for me. If on  the other hand, you decorate how you want...and then never change it again.... is it because your tastes never change...or because you are afraid of change?

Looking back at my own houses and my own style, I see a combination of things going on. Yes, my tastes are affected by what's popular in decor and fashion (shiplap anyone?)...but I have changed my decor, dress and my general taste in the 15 years I have lived in this house. We have gone from items we bought because we had a baby and nothing should be sharp, or hard or dangerous or breakable...to MCM furniture.  Soon after that though, I realized, my Mr. is a big man...and these spindly furnishings won't work with our lifestyle... so we had to go into another direction.

We live in the woods, in a ranch house...so when Magnolia and shiplap became a big trend, we went ahead and did some shiplap. I am from Texas, so I was already aware of what shiplap was, ,and what it looked like.  It isn't all over the house, it actually complements our lifestyle, and has made the house more architecturally interesting. I like it and it reminds me of home... and I don't think we will ever get rid of it totally. Plus, it moved my other decor into a new area.... 1970's contemporary/boho. I know....what?  Is that macrame and shag carpeting? NO!

I like to call my new style farmhouse/brutalist/boho.  My furniture is now big and chunky. It's super comfortable and no one has to worry about putting their feet up or plopping down in a chair. It's relaxed. It's looks right in the area we live in, and in our house. No shag, although I do have sheepskins, and no macrame....but only because I haven't found any I like yet!

My style lookbook is far different than it was 15 years ago...but I think it's evolved in a way that works with our family and our lifestyle...and that's what EVERYONE should strive for. Your house, your clothing, your designs... they should all work WITH you and your family... as the saying goes...
" you do you" .

                                           I love this..... 
Billy Gaylord; Architectural Digest 1975. Photo by Russell MacMasters.

No comments: