Sunday, January 13, 2019

KonMari.... or not....

SO much has been written lately about the KonMari method ...but I am not going to be one of those people. I don't subscribe to her method of every item has to spark joy in you, or you need to purge it. I find no joy in my socks, they are coverings for my feet. I find no joy in a mop.... it's what  I use to clean up cat messes.... but I do want to like what I own, and for what I own to work for me, not against me.

I decided long ago, when I used to tell people what to do for a living (which is a long, long story) that no system I used, would totally work for anyone else. You need to find your own way, and your own path. Pick and chose from many systems and the advice of others.  You don't have to invent the wheel again, but understand that no one system may work for your lifestyle, and your life choices.

This is what works for me.... and I am passing it on to you. When you pick up an item in your house...ANY item....this works for handbags down to wash cloths....If you were shopping today... would you BUY this item again? If the answer is no, you need to figure out why. Does it not fit your style anymore? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Is it a piece of crap that doesn't work but you haven't replaced it yet? Whatever reason, decide at that moment, to either keep it, donate it or throw it away, or replace it. If you keep it, find it's permanent home. If you are going to get rid of it...do that right away. Put it in a box or bag you keep by the door to donate next time you go out (more on that later) . If you want to toss it...do that right NOW. If you need to replace the item with something better.... start researching. Everything out there has an upgrade, and now your quest is to find that better item that will make your life easier.

You don't have to be a minimalist if you don't want to be....but you do need every item in your house to work FOR you. It can "spark joy" or it can be useful and solid...but your belongings should NOT cause you stress.  It's the same with cleaning methods... those methods might make you happy, or feel accomplished...but they should also NOT be causing you stress.





2 comments:

Colleen said...

I just watched the Netflix show and was surprised to find it less irritating than I had anticipated. At least it shows a realistic several week timeframe for dealing with possessions as opposed to 48 hours from hoarder to minimalist! I'm not sure everything I own needs to spark joy (hello toilet brush) but I agree it needs to be useful and used. I just unpacked after an overseas move and am trying out the backwards hangers until you wear an item method to see what i really just don't reach for- at the end of the year, I'm going to try to assess why I don't reach for some thing and try to move them along. I want to have less stuff, but I also find the purging process very stressful so I want to see if I can make a slower, more methodical approach work for me.

thefarmersdaughter said...

I like the one room at a time approach. I figure I will do a room every couple weeks.... and things like the linen closet might take one week. I plan on working on organizing the house over the next 4 months or so....I do love how she folds clothes. That is downright awesome and I need to teach the boy how.... Hope the shutdown isn't affecting you to much, and that it's over soon!