Monday, January 14, 2019

The purge 2019 - and why I am still buying things

My ideas of  'New Year, New You"  and making my life easier and better....don't just include getting rid of things. My idea also includes acquiring new items that either work better than my old ones or upgrading things we already own, or new items that we really need.  I will never be a minimalist... nor do I want to become one. I like my things. I like 'stuff'.  It just has to work for me and fit my vision of how I want to live and look, and my vision of how my house works and looks.

To that end, I sent the Mr. out to an auction this past weekend to see if we could buy some REALLY cool MCM patio furniture (which we did not get,as it went SKY high) and two 1970's upholstered chairs that I thought would look great in the living room.  He bought the chairs ( 2 for 9.00, yes, 4.50 a chair) and brought back a fabulous industrial telescoping lamp as well...but that lamp is for another day.

Here was the issue, I hate my living room. Always have, and it's been 15 years now. It's a rectangle, with a corner cut off, it has 3 HUGE windows, one small window in a silly location, a pass through to the kitchen, a large doorway into the kitchen AND an outside door. There is literally no room for furniture...but I have worked with it. The issue is, with the sofa and the day bed, we needed more seating for when we have people over so they don't crowd onto the sofas...and we have tried many, many chairs.... but I think we finally have the winners ! My room has morphed from a MCM decor, to a clear 1970's vibe, with thick chunky comfortable furniture , organic colors and BOHO elements. It's us finally, and although the room is still problematic, I no longer hate going into it.

                                                                  one of my new chairs



                                                    And the piece that started it all......

                                                     The Lane Pueblo dresser I just bought


There is more to do. The art needs to be changed a bit and hung lower. There is too much nick knack clutter hanging about.... but soon there will be an photo shoot and it will be done.... by Spring if I would hazard a guess...... so more soon. Hopefully, I will get in the hang of writing again too.....




The living room in early attempts....

No comments: