Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Stow Davis leather office furniture from 1966 - or How to decorate around a big old yellow sofa?????

As I have written about before, I lucked into a three piece set of vintage furniture for a price that was unbelievable. The issue? I have to redo the basement now so that these pieces can sing.  Not only are these pieces in my basement, but so is a 9 foot pool table, a foosball table, and a huge Ethan Allen bar. They all have to remain. The open concept basement room is about 22 ft wide and about 30 ft long or so...it's a decent sized room and they will all fit if I'm careful and have a plan that includes them all so they flow together and don't fight each other..... 

This is what it looks like now (the furniture is more of a deli mustard yellow/brown, not as much green as in these pictures, but that's what you get when you don't have the proper light to take a photo.... 



The white wall behind the first picture is going to have to be painted. The paneling behind the second picture is NOT going to be painted....I'm going with a very heavy 70's vibe down here. The red rug is already gone, along with all the other assorted pieces of furniture. The bookcase you see is a built in floor to ceiling one. The natural wood you see in the first picture is actually a barn door covering the sliders to outside. This room actually gets a fair amount of natural light.  

At first I was thinking safe and thought about going with a light tan color, somewhat like the floor. It would go with all the dark wood in the room, and be ok with the furniture. But now, I'm thinking BOLD. DARK. 

so, not so much this.... 


But this.... 




or this..... 



  I really like how the yellow just jumps out at you... and I'm wondering since the rest of my room is very dark and neutral, can I got semi crazy with the one wall? 

1 comment:

Colleen said...

ok, that last picture? SWOON!!!